Tuesday, April 08, 2008

WhooHoo I'm Done!

I have finished the lace test knit for Laura at Dragonwing Arts. She is calling her design Summer Radiance which is fitting since it has a few nature inspired elements...fern leaves is the first element to be knitted. The ferns plus a little "vine" started basically from the tip upwards through the first 9 charts. The section definitely reminds me of a maiden hair fern leaf.

My favorite section was towards the end (charts 12 through 14)...not because it was almost done, but I loved what appeared to be leaves marching two by two upwards. Those charts were very easily memorized and any error was quickly noticed...I loved that part. NO TINKING of frogging back to the life line for the entire 3 chart sequence...a first for me.

The worst section for me to knit was the last chart, but I think that my brain was still on sick leave and wasn't as focused as I could have been. It was this area where I made an error by forgetting to YO and I didn't catch on that the patterning on that particular element was a wee bit off. My decision to not rip back 3 rows is something I can live with...although I may try to correct it with some creative manipulation if it starts to bother me. Can anyone see the error?

Overall I thoughly enjoyed knitting lace...my first big lace project. Everything else has had small bits of lace thrown into the mix. Must have liked (loved) it since nothing else really was knitted on while this was underway.

Details:
Pattern: Summer Radiance Shawl designed by Laura of Dragonwing Arts

Yarn: Malabrigo Lace in Indigo

Needles: Addi Lace size 5 on a 60" cable

Size: Unblocked- Top 64" Sides 62" Blocked- Top 64" Sides 62"


Once the sun comes back out...if it ever does I hope to do the shawl justice with a great photo of the blocked rendition.

No comments: