Friday, March 02, 2012

Where There's a Will


I decided tonight that I really wanted to cast on my March socks.  It didn't matter that my needles were in pieces...March 1st means cast on.  I decided that I would pull out the US 1 24" circular set I bought from Holly Spring Homespun and match it up with my 16 inch long circular.

I used my husband's micrometer to measure the two sets diameters and see how large a difference I would be working.  Turns out not too much...only 0.18 mm.  I figured I could at least get the toe cast on and work it until the different lengths drove me nuts. 

So far I'm enjoying the heck out of this new technique...who knew.  I measured the gauge and so far I'm right where I need to be at 32 stitches over 4 inches.  The only problem is the discrepancy in the lengths of the 2 sets of needles.  The 16 inch long circular feels too short...the actual needles are shorter, but it feel tight as I knit.  On the other hand the 2 sets are different so I pick up the right needle every time.

No comments: