Friday, March 23, 2012

My March Socks

I finished early once again.  I'm not sure how it happened since I was sidetracked a few times by the white stuff...otherwise known as snow.   Along with a few days spent snow boarding and the last several days outdoors working in the yard I didn't think it possible to finish so quickly.


This month's Self Imposed Sock Club pattern was Kellswater by Sara Morris in the Spring 2012 Issue of Interweave Knitting.  I truly enjoyed knitting this sock.   Not only was it my first toe up pattern it was also the first time using 2 circular needles to knit a sock.  I always thought I would be one of those knitters that used DPN's (double point needles) for my sock knitting...not anymore.  Now it would seem I have crossed to the dark side...can't wait for that discussion with my knitting buddies.  

That's what I love about knitting there always seems to be something new...could be yarn, technique or pattern it doesn't really matter.  I love learning new stuff...it keeps it fresh.  I feel pretty certain that I will continue using the circular needles to knit my socks.  The other thing that surprised me was the ease of doing the sock 'toe up' rather than the conventional 'cuff down'.  I even learned another cast on technique...the Turkish or Eastern method.  A bit fiddly starting out, but once a couple of rows were complete it moved smoothly. 


rope cable
Back of sock...anchor and tree
The only problem encountered was with the needles.  My brand new wooden circular needle developed a rough spot that kept snagging my yarn.  I broke out some 220 grit sandpaper and some wax paste to fix the spot.   It got me through the sock although I'm not too pleased that the wooden needle seems to be splitting apart.   Of course these may be jinxed...remember the first set arrived broken.




Details:
Pattern:  Kellswater Socks by Sara Morris

Yarn:  Adorn by Three Irish Girls, 80% merino, 20% nylon, 3.5 oz./430 yards, colorway: Rhys

Needles:  2- US 1 24" circular needles

Gauge:  32 sts x 48 rnds

Short row heel
Modifications:  I changed the pattern slightly when I reached the heel.  I ended up doing a traditional short row heel rather than the combination of knits and purls.  The sock didn't need all the fuss at the heel...and I didn't like the instructions written out row by row. 

I think I need to cast on something other than a sock...I'm craving something different.  Tomorrow I need to investigate the possibilities...between stash and patterns.  Oh and I need to decide on my next pattern for Sock Club.  All that plus I need to finish the yard work we've started a few days ago...so close to being done.  One load of mulch left to go and the destruction of one more bed.  What fun!

2 comments:

Mountaingmom said...

Beautiful. Try two at a time on two circs. That is my favorite way to do socks.

Cindi and Bill said...

I love to use wooden needles too...these just seem to be jinxed somehow.

I wondered if you could use 2 circs to knit 2 at a time. I'll have to give it a shot on an upcoming pair.