Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Olde Liberty Faire

A few days ago a friend and I took off on a road trip to a fiber festival.  A beautiful spring day to be outside petting all kinds of fiber.  Not to mention a pretty good diversion from our normal weekend routine.  It was my first time attending the Olde Liberty Faire...not for lack of trying just other "events" always interfered.  As we got to the Faire and parked we hatched 'The Plan'...wander through the booths browsing as we go, then score the 'best fiber deal'.  My first mission was to scout out a few spinning wheels...that went bust pretty quick since no one bought wheels to sell.  Why? 

I could have bought a ticket for a Kromski Minstrel wheel that was being raffled, but decided against it.  Hopefully on our summer trip I'll be able...or allowed...to stop in Frankfort, KY and try a few wheels at the Woolery.

Lemonwood & Rosewood
Twisty sock with spindles
We had a good time visiting with a few friends...both old and new.  Cash was spent on a few items...all fiber related.   I scored from Unplanned Peacock a gorgeous skein of burgundy Twisty sock yarn to go with the leftovers from the Spot Check Sock a few months ago.  Natasha also had some handmade spindles by Joshua Lynch that really created some serious indecision on my part.  I could not decide between two of these beauties so I decided that I should just get them both.

BFL Top "Lichen"
I couldn't leave the festival without getting some kind of roving.  I ended up going with Blue Faced Leicester Top in Lichen from Misty Mountain Farm, but man was it hard to narrow down to one.  Many vendors had some of the most beautiful rovings, tops, etc...natural as well as dyed.  There were bagged fleeces and one unbelievable bag of natural locks in shades of cream and gold.  All very tempting.  But.  Seriously I'm new to spinning.  I don't own a wheel.  I use a drop spindle & decided to stay away from anything I would have to process myself or alpaca and anything with silk.  Just a bit too slippery for me to do them justice.  One day I promise...after the wheel.

Superfine Prime Alpaca DK
Wolle's Blue Honey 4
Owl Project Bag
The last few items included a skein of natural 100% superfine prime alpaca in DK weight...it's 665 yards and yummy soft!  My one weird (for me) item was a ball of 100% cotton yarn.  I'm not a lover of knitting cotton, but this yarn is softer than most.  It's 480 yards of color changing cotton from Wolle's.   I must admit I had not known of this yarn until the Faire...I found it intriguing and the patterns knit using it were stunning.  One ball called "Blue Honey 4" came home with me.  My last item was a medium sized project bag from Lawre Laine in the cutest owl fabric that makes me smile.  Loved it the moment I saw it.  I have a number of her knitting bags and handbags...all well used. 

My friend managed more self control, but she did enhance her yarn stash...blaming me for it in the process.  She loved a vest that was on display at Misty Mountain's booth got the yarn and 'free' pattern.  Unfortunately, she didn't notice that there wasn't a mention of size except for "medium"...no measurements, nada!  She's emailed the designer and if she doesn't get an answer I promised to take a look to see if I can upsize it for her.  "Lesson learned" she said and promised she'll look over the pattern from now on before she plunks down the cash.  We've all said that haven't we?

No comments: