Friday, April 13, 2012

My Sock Break Project

Mondo Cable Shell- Back View
A few false starts or more precisely false cast offs and my non-sock project is complete.  I ended up doing 3 cast offs...complete with the ends woven in...before I was pleased.  Why so many?  The first cast off was done according to the pattern.  I didn't like the fit.  At all.  It was too short and I'm not the type that wants to wear an exposed midriff.  The edge rolled enough that my husband even asked "why."  You know it's trouble when he notices.  Why indeed...so on my second attempt I did an inch or so more ribbing and switched to garter for a few rows. The thought was that the garter ridges would prevent the rolling of the stockinette. I cast off and was not happy.  Still to short.  Still too wonky.  Frogged the garter rows back go the ribbed section.
Extra cable cross

On my third attempt I measured the amount of yarn left...26 grams and figured I would continue the ribbing and add another cable cross.  By the time I was down to a couple of grams I decided to try an i-cord bind off.  Problem solved.  I like the fit.  The edge looks so much better and actually looks similar to the arm and neck edging.  No more exposed midriff and it fits rather well. 

Mondo Cable Shell/Vest
Details:

Pattern:  Mondo Cable Shell/Vest by Bonnie Marie Burns (aka Chicknits)

Yarn: Roslea Organic Merino by Three Irish Girls; 100% organic merino wool; 8 oz/480 yards; Colorway:  Sea Nymph.  I used all but the 7 grams of yarn from my gauge swatch.

Needles:  Addi Clicks US 7 and US 8

Gauge:  18 stitches /24 rows over 4 inches of stockinette stitch

I-cord bind off
Modifications:  I added length to the vest by continuing the ribbing for a total of 3 inches.  I also did an i-cord bind off rather than the pattern's ribbed bind off.  The overall effect looks more clean and the overall effect mimics the neck and arm hole edges.  Another benefit of the i-cord is that it helps prevent the edge rolling up.   I really dislike hems that roll and find myself constantly pulling on it.

After blocking the vest is now 23 inches long which better fits my torso rather than the pattern's called for 20.5 inches.  No other modifications were made to the vest. 

A few words about the yarn...Roslea Organic Merino.  Once again I chose a yarn from Three Irish Girls Stash Menagerie Club.   I so enjoyed the feel of knitting with this yarn.  The merino was soft to the touch and I really think it will feel nice against the bare skin.  Three Irish Girls once again did a terrific job dying the yarn...lots of subtle variations of color and no harsh pooling of color on the finished garment.  I wish I had a few more skeins in my stash to knit a sweater.  I may have to remedy that unfortunate state of the stash.

No comments: