Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Cabletini Socks

My April socks are done.  I was slightly worried about finishing these when I didn't start 'on time'.  No worries necessary...even got them done a few days early.  The pattern was another toe up version using two circular needles.  I've quickly become a fan of the toe up sock.  Easily memorized pattern that was a fairly quick knit.  Overall a very nice looking simple cable sock.  I was really glad I knew how to cable without a cable needle.  It was very helpful on this sock once you get to the leg...lots of cabling on a 4 stitch pattern.  The technique I use can be found here...simple once you practice a bit.

I used Koigu KPPPM for these socks.  First time using something from my Koigu stash...not sure why.  The skeins are a bit small at 175 yards, but I did have plenty of yarn to do these socks.  No need for the contrasting heels. 

I didn't find this particular yarn as soft as some other 100% merino yarns.  Not sure what others think...although lots of people swoon over it.  I do love the hand paint colors.  These two skeins have a few of my favorites...oranges, yellow, hits of blue and green.  This colorway seems more subtle in its variation than some of the other ones...very much reminds me of the desert.  The pattern shows itself very well.  One problem I found between the two skeins...one seems to have more orange and is much 'brighter'.  Ah, the joy of hand-painted yarns!

Details:
Pattern:  Cabletini Socks by Wendy Johnson

Yarn:  Koigu KPPPM; 100% Merino Wool; 175 yards/50 gram; colorway P625 a hand-painted blend of yellows, oranges, with hits of blues and greens.  I used 2 skeins with about 8 grams of each left in each skein.  I could have added more length, but was a bit sick of the cable.

Needles:  2 US 1.5, 24" circulars


Gauge:  8 stitches and 12 rows over 4 inches of stockinette stitch

Fleegle Heel- no holes
Modifications:  I changed a few things on these socks.  Rather than doing the traditional short row heel I decided to try a Fleegle Heel.  A really nice looking heel that is done in such a way that adjustments can be made to better fit my narrow heel.   Another benefit...no holes at the gussets.  I could really get used to not picking up gusset stitches too.  One more thing I love about the Fleegle Heel...the cool name.

Cuff 3 x 3 Rib
The last modification I made was to add about 1 1/2 inches of 3 x 3 ribbed cuff.   The pattern did not call for any type of cuff, but I thought it ended abruptly without the cuff.

One question for next month's 'sock'...can I use sock yarn and knit a wrap?  I may do that..although that kind of changes the parameters of my Self Imposed Sock Club mission...12 months, 12+ skeins...resulting in 12 pairs of socks.  Will have to see what pattern is up next because I'm itching to do this particular lace wrap.  From past experience if I start a lace project I become obsessed with lace project...to the point that nothing else gets done.  Stay tuned!

No comments: