Friday, February 24, 2012

Never Enough vs Never the Right One

The question of using the proper tools frequently comes into play around my house.  It could be either one of us trying to justify adding another tool that would help make doing something easier, quicker, better or in a much rarer moment "just because" you want it.  I find myself in that predicament today.  I need a needle or more specifically needles.

If you know me you know that I have a rather large collection of needles.  I have fairly inexpensive ones...Clover, Bates, etc.   I also have a Boye NeedleMaster set that at the time I got it I thought I'd never need to buy another needle.  Foolish newbie!  I am  fortunate enough to have an expensive set of Addi Clicks which I love dearly and use for most of my knitting.  Of course I also have my Mom's vast assortment of needles which includes her own NeedleMaster set.  

I have an impressive collection of everything- straights, DPN, circular and interchangeable circulars.  Why then would I find it necessary to go on a hunt for more?  Well today I find that I don't have the "right needles" to do what I want to do for my March Sock.  I want to do the Kellswater pattern out of Interweave Knits Spring 2011...written as a toe up pattern using 2 circular needles.   After looking through all the various places I store my needles I found that I don't own two US1 24" circular needles.  I do have a single US1 48" circular, but not 2 and not the preferred length of 24".

Two yarn stores later I found one US1 24" circular at Holly Springs, but not two.  What should I do...change the March sock pattern or try using the 24" and my 48" circulars and see how long it takes to drive me over the edge?  I'm finding it hard to change the pattern choice...love the yarn and I was looking forward to trying the toe up/2 circs pattern which are both new to me.

I guess I'll check around for another needle since March 1st is still a few days away...don't ya just hate it when a plan doesn't come together?

2 comments:

Mountaingmom said...

Next you will have to get in the 6 month line for the wonderful handmade Dyakcraft Darn Pretties.

Cindi and Bill said...

Gorgeous needles! I need a list...