Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Herringbone Rib Memorial Socks

Herringbone Pattern
The Herringbone Rib socks were knit to honor my Mom who passed away February 2011 from the disease ALS.  She loved to knit and the yarn I used was once her's...a gift from me a few years ago.  Mom didn't get the chance to knit her own pair of socks out of the Trekking so to honor her memory I chose it for these socks.  She was a very strong lady and I miss her.  Mom would love these socks...done in her favorite earth tone colors.

Heel stitches knit thru back loop
I finished...early even.  Last week I wasn't so sure I'd get both socks done before the end of the month.  The first sock ended up being a pain to get up over the heel.  My first time ever having a fit problem and that includes my very first sock.  I had followed the instructions for the smaller sock and it's a tight fit.  Real tight as you can see from a past post about the ordeal.  Once on it fits fine which is so strange...not tight at all.

For the second sock I decided to knit the larger version. Unfortunately, had I continued knitting it would have created a sock much too large for my foot.  I frogged back and recast the sock following the original instructions.  I figured the only other things left to try were to knit the sock more loosely or change the size of my needles.  My gauge was spot on in the stockinette portion so I tried knitting looser.  Since I knew I had tightened up the slip stitches on the first sock I tried to avoid that on the second sock.  Good news...the second sock goes on much easier over the heel.  The fit is fine, but the yarn is not the softest stuff on the market.

Leg patterns match
Heel flaps match
One happy coincidence is that without any effort or thought I ended up with two socks that match.  That has not happened without lots or planning, calculating and measuring...and with all that most times it's a wee bit off.

The first sock's problem persists and I may correct it, but I'm holding off until I've tried blocking.  Maybe that will 'fix' the tightness...can't hurt I suppose.  I've been told that "blocking fixes everything."  I don't happen to believe it, but it beats frogging.

Details:

Pattern:  Herringbone Rib Socks by Kristi Schuler. 

Yarn:  Trekking Pro Natura by Zitron, Fingering / 4 ply, 75% Wool, 25% Bamboo, Color:  earth tones, 459 yards / 100 gram.  I also used a small amount of Colinette Jitterbug's Velvet Leaves, Fingering / 4 ply, 100% Merino, 318 yards / 110 gram...for the cuffs and toes.
 
Needles:  Knitpicks Harmony, US 1, 4 DPN's

Gauge: 28 stitches and 44 rounds in 4 inches of stockinette stitch

March socks are up next.  I'm going to switch gears and knit a new pattern that was in the Spring issue of Interweave Knitting: Kellswater Socks by Sara Morris.  My first pair of toe up socks.  I'm going to try to use 2 circular needles which should be interesting.  I'm not sure about the yarn just yet...solid? semisolid?  Not sure.  I do know it won't be a variegated yarn since I want the cables to pop.  Stay tuned.

No comments: