Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Visit to a Yarn Shop

My first visit to a yarn shop while on our extended trip. After skiing a few days we took a break from the slopes & went exploring around Taos. I had been told about a yarn shop in town so we headed there this afternoon. La Lana Wools is a beautiful shop full of more handspun yarns than I have ever seen. All have been dyed using only natural dyes from plants found in the Southwest...marigolds, Navaho Tea, & lupine for instance along with some exotics like indigo. Only one person was manning the shop while we visited. She said that the shop"manufactures" all of the yarn from the moment they acquire the roving, to the spinning, and hand dying process. I cannot imagine how many hands have been involved in the whole process from sheep to shop.

It was a bit overwhelming to visit such a shop with the huge selection of colors & types of yarn. I ended up with 2 skeins of their Forever Random Fines in sport weight (100% Romney wool) in 'deep sea indigo" which has been dyed in indigo, purple, green. I'm thinking I'll use this for a beret of some kind since I have a tad over 230 yards.

The other yarn was from their Forever Random Worsted collection what was described as "obverse double dyed 60% Romney wool/40% Yearling". I chose 2 skeins in a color called"tzarina'. The tzarina colors are amazing...dyed bayeta red with madder, gold, indigo, green and lavender. I only bought the 2 skeins and must decided what to do with only 140 yards of this beauty. I can only imagine what a sweater would look like in this yarn...but price does come into play and I'm just starting this adventure.

No comments: