Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Let There be Light

An even better title could be "How to See to Knit in Dark Hotel Rooms". Why does management fail to put light bulbs in the lamps? An even bigger pet peeve are those lamps that have bulbs that are 40 watts or less. I hate those. I was planning on taking my own bulbs or even a lamp with us. Thanks to my dear husband he's manged to come through with 2 other options. Both came to me as Christmas presents...one made me laugh so hard I cried. Back when I first mentioned taking a knitting light on our trip he told me about a cap with built in LED lights under the brim. The idea was interesting, but I'm not fond of caps...not to mention flat hair & looking funny factor.

As we were shopping we came across a set of LED clip on lights. I mentioned that I liked them. They were compact enough to travel easily & could be clipped on the headboard or even set on a table. I wasn't sure how bright they'd be or how long the batteries would last, but so much better than his original hat idea. Maybe not as entertaining to those around me, but no one would be cracking up watching me knit.

The second options was totally unexpected although it was "hat inspired". My husband always finds something that I'm not expecting...always a surprise & most of the time I end up loving it. This time was no exception. He wanted me to have enough light & found a LED headlight with 3 different settings. I even have night vision in the form of red LED lights. When I opened this gift I must have laughed for 5 minutes non stop. I mean how funny would this thing look while I knit away? The picture in my head was hysterical. Then today as I was wandering around the internet looking for new patterns I went to check out Norah Gaughan's new pattern book. As I was reading through her blog I found this. I cannot wait to show him & let him know that his idea isn't quite as crazy as I first believed.

I took the light for a test knit Christmas night and it really is nice to knit with even in total darkness. I'm just not going to do so in public. Once again he comes through on a great idea.

No comments: