Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Whitby's are Done!


Wooohooo...another finished object complete and ready to wear. I finally completed my Whitby Socks in Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush on Saturday.

For some reason the brain stopped working between the leg & heel gussets and I dropped a stitch somewhere along the way. The sad thing was I did not realize this until I had about 3 inches left before the toe decreases. Why oh why does this always seem to happen as soon as I say out loud no less to my DH that "I'll finish these tonight". Tempted the knitting gods with that comment because as I was saying this and putting the sock on to see how much longer it needed I noticed the loose stitch on the gussett. As I was trying to see if I could just tack thing 'tighter' rather than rip back it became quite obvious that I was indeed screwed beyond hope...there was a dangling stitch just sitting there and no way to get it back.

I decided to sleep on the "problem" overnight and tackle during the daylight hours. The solution was to frog back to the LEG for goodness sake and start again paying attention to every stitch. It took a few hours to get back to where I was the night before, but once back on track the sock had no other events happen to it. I love the yarn and the feel of these socks. At first I was worried the cables would be felt when a shoe was on the foot, but this is not the case at all.

Details:
Pattern: Whitby in Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush

Yarn:Pagewood Farm Hand Dyed Sock Yarn, fiber content: 70% merino, 20% bamboo, 10% nylon, color: reds

Needles: Latern Moon sox stix, size 2


Finished Size: Woman's size 9


Modifications: I cast on 8 extra sts to insure a nice fit around leg & foot since my foot is about an inch larger the suggested finished size of 7 1/2 inches. I adjusted the gussetts as well to maintain 17 stitches on needles 1 and 3 to get the size needed down the foot.


Decreased down to 4 sts per needle, continued knitting the last 4 stitches to the end of needle 4. Then I used the kitchener stitch to close the toe rather than the suggested method.

1 comment:

knitting harvest said...

Thanks for the feedback on the Hokie yarn. I'll definetly try that as soon as I pick them backup...I was dreading permanently dyed fingernails and thought a couple days off might do my nails some good.

S