Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Ella Shawl


The Ella has been blocked and is now dry. The shawl turned out beautiful in the Handmaiden Sea Silk...only one regret and that is in the overall size. I modified the pattern by dropping down a few needle sizes due to using the much finer sea silk rather than the called for Lady Godiva. I so wanted to use the Sea Silk, but the large needle size of 10 was much too large for the yarn. I chose to switch to a size 5's which did show the stitch pattern very nicely.

As I was in the process of knitting the pattern I did consider adding some rows to the overall pattern to make up for the needle size, but decided it would be large enough for the way I would use it. Now I'm thinking a tad bit wider/longer may have been a more wise decision.


Now on to the details:

Yarn: Handmaiden Sea Silk - 2 skeins

Pattern: Ella by Wendy Wonnacott


Needles: 47" Addi Lace Turbo, size 5


Finished size: 35 inches from the outer tip to the center bottom edge, panel widths are 13 inches


I have been draping this around me during the evening and it feels very nice against my skin. I was surprised at the warmth of such a light shawl...it will be a much used item in the cool evenings out and about.

No comments: