Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Only Three

Now for the details of those items I actually finished over the course of our 2 month trip. First thing I completed was a hat for my husband. Actually it's the second one I've done for him. The original Bill Hat (Ravelry access required) was done as a reversible hat out of Berroco's Ultra Alpaca and Pure Merino. He loved the warmth, but he had a problem with it...yeah you guessed it...too warm. It was really way too warm when the weather in these parts doesn't get all that cold so he asked for another one. His 2 requests...single layer and the appropriate (to him anyway) orange to go with the maroon. I found it in the Tangerine from Blue Sky Alpaca...approved by him prior to casting on as being the "right Hokie orange".

Another Bill Hat:

Pattern: used a hat calculator for simple ribbed hat

Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca (50% super fine alpaca, 50% Peruvian Highland Wool) in maroon and Blue Sky Sport Weight Alpaca (100% baby alpaca) in tangerine. I used about 60 grams of the 100 gram skein of Ultra Alpaca and about 15 grams of a 50 gram skein of the Blue Sky.

Needles: Knitpicks Options, 24" circular needle, size 6

Size: to fit 23" head

While away I really took more yarn than I probably should have...don't all knitters take more than they could ever possibly use? Anyway I only knit one pair of socks out of the 3 balls of sock yarn I took on our cross-country trip. I never even pulled out my pattern book that I had packed in anticipation of starting the other socks. What sock did I finish? Jaywalkers...my second pair, very easy pattern and actually knits up fairly quickly.

Jaywalker's
Pattern: Jaywalker (Ravelry access required) by Grumperina, no modifications to the pattern.

Yarn: It's Tubular x 2 *(80% wool, 20% nylon, 480 yards in a 100 gram skein) in the "jeans" colorway by Scarlet Fleece. Very generous amount I had about 28 grams of yarn left after finishing the sock.

Needles: Harmony DPN's, size 1 from Knitpicks

Size: woman's size 9


Now for my hat knit out of Plain & Fancy Sheep & Wool sport weight in Blue-Green Variegated. I've knitted this pattern once before here and loved how it fit and looked on my head. I have to say that I'm not loving or even liking this version very much. Before blocking the beret seemed too small, after blocking it seems way to big. The patterning isn't showing up as much as it had on the plain white version so this one may just get frogged. The yarn is too lovely to waste on something I will not be wearing...still searching for another hat pattern that looks good on my head. I've posted the details anyway since I'm counting it as a completed project. It would seem that I'll be reknitting the yarn though into something else.

My Beret
Beret Pattern: Fair Isle Beret by Anna Bright, no modifications to the pattern.

Yarn: Plain & Fancy Sheep & Wool Co., (100% wool, 400 yards in a 4.5 oz skein) in the blue-green variegated colorway, used about 3 oz. of the skein to complete the beret.

Needles: Clover bamboo 24" circular, size 2 and size 3, Knitpicks Harmony DPN's size 2's

Size: head circumference 22"

No comments: