Sunday, March 22, 2009

Yet Another Post About Yarn

One last post about the new yarn on the stash...I promise. After leaving Kalispell, MT we headed off further west, but I never stepped foot in a yarn store in Washington, California or Nevada. No real desire to search them out in Spokane, Fresno or Reno...weird, right? Oh don't worry I more than made up for it when I got to Salt Lake City, UT.

Maybe I just needed some snow in sight to get yarn fumes heading straight to my brain. Salt Lake had several to choose from close to our hotel so one afternoon while we were out & about my DH stopped at Unraveled Sheep. Quite a few people were in the shop and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. I was even able to share Raverly ravatars so we can keep in touch with a couple of ladies...hey there sockhappy & bleighw. Amazingly I met someone originally from Virginia whose sister actually owns/runs Unraveled in Radford. It is a small world isn't it?

The shop owner, Verla, pointed me in the direction of some locally dyed sock yarn by Sleeping Dragon Yarns and I was a happy Hokie...yep, it was Hokie inspired colors. Although they called it 'maple' it reminds me of the colors at sunset or even the desert. One could argue that it's the colors of maple trees in the fall, but 'maple' was not my first thought at all. Along with the skein of maple I also got another one called...mallard. I have no idea what they'll look like knit up or
what patterns I'll use, but couldn't resist these soft skeins of yarn. The skeins are 100% superwash merino wool and a very generous 450 yards each so I'll have more than enough...with left overs.



My last yarn purchase of the trip was once again Mountain Colors. This time I fell for Mountain Goat (55% mohair, 45% wool) in sweetpea. For some reason I've been drawn to rich blues & greens while on the trip & that's exactly what these 2 skeins possess. Emerald greens and blues as well as a touch of brown...a lot like the fir, spruce, pines & bright blue skies we've hiked through. You see it always comes around to all the natural beauty that has been around us on the trip.

So that's it for my yarn shopping adventure of the Wild West...now all I have to do is let all of this marinate for a time in the stash. I really don't want to 'mess' up when picking a pattern for these special yarns. Especially my bisondown...that would be criminal.

No comments: