Thursday, June 05, 2008

Homework

Homework...no haven't returned to school, but I have some prelim work to do for Purl Jam. I'm taking a class on "finishing" as in finishing off my knitting in a more professional manner. I'm hoping that I will learn a few more ways to seam up my FO's. At the moment I only know one way...mattress stitch...which works great on a bunch of things. It doesn't work so well on certain stitch patterns, therefore when the class list showed up the finishing class seemed to fit what I was looking to improve the most in my knitting.

So now I need to knit up 6 squares to practice whatever seaming techniques that are being taught. I'm thinking I need a couple stockinette, garter, and at least something with some holes or combination of stitches. No size was given for the square, but the 6-7" sqaure would be large enough to handle and see what the heck I was doing. The class is June 20th so plenty of time to get these knitted up...need to choose a color. I'm leaning toward one of the left over oranges from the blankets.

As for the other classes I'm doing there are no homework assignments just yarn lists...I've already made a visit to Mosaic (while I was moving oldest to yet another apartment) to purchase what was needed for the Swedish Sock and the Herringbone Classes. I picked out 2 skeins of Noro Silk Garden Lite in deep blues/browns/greens(colorway 2023) and deep greens/pinks/blues(colorway 2014). Who really knows what's inside the skein...the beauty & mystery of Noro Yarns.

For the sock class Cornelia recommends either the Noro Sock or Mirasol Hacho. I decided against using my Noro for the class due to it's less than nice feel or stickiness nature. Doing a class with unknown techniques...to me anyway... I didn't want to be fighting with the yarn while I was trying to learn something new. I much prefer the feel of the Mirasol Hacho (colorway 302) ...a nice soft feel which is both smooth & even in texture. It's a varigated with deep blues, purples, pinks and a touch of turquoise blue. I've never used this yarn so I looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

The remaining classes are using stash yarn....Yeah! I have several colors left from the 2 blankets I've knitted....T's and DH's which is perfect 'cause I need 6 different colors for a color class. Really looking forward to a better understanding of intarsia, stranding, & colorwork in general. The weekend should be fun & fiber filled...hope I'm up to the challenges.

No comments: