Sunday, February 16, 2014

My Knitted Hats

After knitting my Keelin Cap I found myself knitting two more hats.  I don't usually wear hats, but find myself knitting quite a few this year.  At least I'm wearing what I've knit.  My first one used some leftover Elsa Wool I used when I knit last year's sweater, Burrard.  At the time the weather was cold enough to need a hat on our morning walks.  Of course I forgot the hat when we headed to Montana, but at least I was able to get some wear out of it this winter.

I started a 2 color hat out of Alpaca just before we headed to Bozeman.  It is now finished.  The yarn was a Christmas gift from my Dad.  It is very soft and extremely warm.  My only issue in knitting with it is how 'sticky' it becomes if you make a mistake.  It grabs onto itself and it becomes frustrating trying to tink back.  Thankfully I only had a few split stitches so I didn't have to fight too much.

The haze that developed with such a soft yarn was another feature that became something of a problem.  I think the pattern on this one would have benefited from a cleaner edge.  Maybe for the second hat I'll use my Plucky Bello...a merino and cashmere blend.

Pattern:  Selbu Modern by Kate Gagnon Osborn; 

Yarn:  Alpaca Perfection by Peruvian Link, Sport / 5 ply, 100% Alpaca, 110 yards / 50 grams.  I used two different colors: cream (or light fawn) and a camel (or medium fawn).  I still have a fair amount of both colors left from this project.

Needle:  US 2, Addi Rockets, 24" cable

Gauge:  30 stitches and 36 rows = 4" in Fair Isle Stockinette Stitch

Modifications:  None

Love the patterning at the top

My new favorite hat used what I had leftover from my Muh Muh scarf...well 2 out of the 3 colors are now gone.  I still have 47 grams of Pierre left to use.  The pattern was easily modified to use every last bit of the 2 colors.  I really love the double knitted band which makes the hat very warm over the ears.  The hat was perfect for the negative 32 degree day we had last week.

Pattern:  wurm by Katharina Nopp; 

Yarn:  Traveler Aran by The Plucky Knitter, Aran / 10 ply, 65% Merino, 20% Silk, 15% Yak
220 yards / 115 gram.  I ended up using 67 grams of Honey Wilkes and 29 grams of Cafe Society which effectively used up the remaining yarn from my other project.

Needle:  US 3 and US 5, Knitpicks, 24" cables
Gauge:  24 stitches and 34 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch

Modifications:  I cast on using a provisional cast on so that creating the double band would be easier.  As others have done I also did the increases as kfb rather than a raised increase.  I ended up changing the decreases as well and switching colors.  Since I had a good bit more of the Honey Wilkes this became my MC and the Cafe Society became my CC.  Once I finished 7 repeats I started my decreases and switching colors as I decreased.  It worked out very well and I was able to get a nice sized hat.   My new favorite and the added bonus it matches my scarf.

Two color side view

Back of the Wurm

Double head band...with a twist

That is it for the finished projects at the moment.  I'm working on another sweater in between trips to the mountain for snowboarding or downtown for lunch/coffee or out to Yellowstone to watch the critters.  Hopefully I'll get it done before Spring back East...

No comments: