Thursday, October 10, 2013

Hello...Finally A Finished Item

It has been quite some time since I actually completed a knitted item.  No idea why, but I've been knitting just nothing seems to get finished.  I started a tank top while we travelled over the summer.  It is sooooo close to getting done...need to add a bit of length to the straps and bind off.  My dear husband mentioned that he's not a fan and now I'm leaning towards repurposing the yarn for something else.  I even have one sock done waiting on the second one...still waiting because I hated the pattern so much I needed a break before starting the second sock.  Really should get that one underway too.

Anyway a few weeks back I noticed that a Mystery Shawl KAL was starting up for one of Stephen Wests new designs.  I signed up and dove into the stash to pull out some yarn.  Three skeins by three different manufactures...stash busting at its finest.  I ended up using 2 solid color yarns and one variegated for the project although after I got into the project I considered switching out the variegated for a solid.  I resisted and the colors grew on me as I knit this rather large wrap. 

Clue 1 done...as long as the table

Lots of garter stitch later and less than a month I have a finished shawl.  Perfect.  As most people know Stephen's designs are a tad bit different...some are just plain strange and others are deceptively simple.  Color craving is a 'plain garter' stitch wrap that let's just say turned out HUGE.  This is my first Westknit's design and I really did enjoy the process.  He has outstanding directions and adds video to show new techniques.  Although nothing was truly new for me I did learn a new way of knitting the wraps in short rows in order to close up the hole created.  Super simple.

Clue 2


Clue 3

I actually find garter stitch relaxing and this pattern had enough going on that it kept my attention.  For the bind off I decided to skip my favorite I-cord for the fancy picot edging which was a first for me.  Surprisingly relaxing rather than monotonous as I expected.  After a hit of steam the wrap grew a bit more, the garter ridges smoothed out and the picot edges laid out flat.  I am very pleased with how the wrap turned out.

Details: 
Pattern:  Mystery Shawl KAL Color Crave by Stephen West 


Yarn:  Color Atosh sock by Madelinetosh  in Thunderstorm; superwash merino wool, fingering weight, 395 yards, used all but 20 grams.  Color B- Merino 2/6 by Fleece Artist in Gray; 100% merino, fingering weight, 355 yards/115 grams, used all but 30 grams.  Color CAdorn Sock
by Three Irish Girls in Fathertime;  80% merino, 20% nylon, fingering weight, 430 yards/100 grams, used all by 45 grams.
 
Needle:  US 6, 60" circulars.  As the number of stitches increased I would add another circular just to be able to spread out the stitches.   

Gauge:  20 sts x 48 rows...although it really doesn't matter

Modifications:  None

Loved knitting this one.  It seems I have my mojo back and once again have cast on another project while I waited for the release of the last clue for this one.  This will certainly not be my last Westknit project. 

No comments: