Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Twofer...in One

I figured I'm up super super early today so I may as well post another FO...make that two finished items. Before Thanksgiving I had the opportunity to test knit a couple of accessories for Bonnie Marie Burns at Chick Knits. Figuring that I would have a good bit of knitting time (football) over the holiday I cast on for the hat first.

The pattern was simple enough to watch football and knit along without having to pay too much attention to it. I used up a yarn I've had for quite a bit of time...Rowan Cashsoft Aran. Talk about soft and scrumptious against the skin. Wow! The knitting only took two evenings so instant gratification...good item for quick Christmas knitting for those that are desperate.

I like the final outcome which is always pretty exciting when you don't really know what to expect when knitting something new. I must admit that it was weird not knowing exactly what it would look like since there were no actual pictures. A bit funky or trendy...whatever the phrase it's one of those kind of hats that most people would love to have as their own.

Details:
Pattern: Super Cupcake Hat by Bonnie Marie Burns at Chick Knits with knit on Ravelry.

Yarn: Rowan Cashsoft Aran, (57% extra fine merino, 33% acrylic microfiber, 10% cashmere), 95 yards/50 gram ball, 2 balls with only 1/4 oz left.

Needle: Addi Turbo ,US 7, 16" circular

Gauge: 20 sts/4 inches

Size: head circumference 21" to 23"


Almost forgot the second finished item...to go with the hat Bonnie Marie also has a large cowl. So I decided to stash bust again and use some Cascade 220 Heathers for it. Although this one wasn't as quick as the hat it was just as easy...could have made it longer, but stopped when I hit the magic number of 13.5 inches as required in the pattern. After all I was 'test knitting' and agreed to abide by the written instructions. If it were left to me I may have stopped sooner if only because I was getting bored with it...the yarn not the pattern. The cowl is pretty large and could go up over the head and protected more of my neck had I continued knitting a few more inches.

Details:
Pattern: Super Cupcake by Bonnie Marie Burns at Chick Knits with knit on Ravelry...cowl.

Yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers, 100% Peruvian Highland Merino Wool, 220 yds/100 grams, almost 1.5 balls used, in blue colorway.

Needle: Addi Turbo ,US 7, 24" circular

Gauge: 20 sts/4 inches

Size: 15" wide, 13.5" length...unblocked

No comments: