Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Very Fast Knit

Just what I needed to break up my knitting...something fun on the needles that almost knit itself. A couple of weeks ago I was offered the chance to participate in Chicknits Mystery Hat KAL. Ms. Chicknits (Bonnie Marie Burns) herself sent out a set of 3 clues over the last few Mondays to knit a hat. I finished the last clue last night...not too bad since I didn't cast on until after the 2nd clue had been received.

The cap was such fun & so quick I'm thinking I may need to look through the stash and knit a few more to match my sweaters. My only concern is that after blocking the yarn has bloomed a good bit so that the ribbed edge feels looser than I'd like. Another opportunity to use a technique that I was shown just this past weekend. Thanks to Sandy at Mosaic I think I can make this cap a wee bit tighter. Her trick was so simple too...using a crochet hook and a bit of yarn you just hook around the edge skipping a stitch or two as you go pulling the edge inward.

Sandy said that it's useful for any edging from neckline, to hems, cuffs, & button bands. Especially useful on that infamous button band from Cassidy. It worked perfectly on my sweater & happy to know I have another trick in the bag for my future projects.

Details:
Pattern: Mondo Cable Cap by Bonnie Marie Burns (Chicknits). Ravelry link has knitted to date.


Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca (50% Alpaca, 50% Wool, 215 yds/200 grams), in the color pumpkin puree (6226). I used 3/4 of the skein to complete my hat.


Needles: Knitpicks Harmony Options 24" circular size 5, Options 24"circular size 8, and Boye DPN's size 8.

Gauge: 18 sts/24 rows in 4 inches of stockinette

Size: 23" head circumference

Modifications: None other than tightening the ribbed edge

No comments: