Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Monkey is Done...11 Months Late

I finally finished the 2nd Monkey Sock by Cookie A. for the second time. Yep, I knitted it twice...what fun...well not really! I had finished the second sock of the pair way back in October, but when I tried them on there were "size issues". I guess I messed up the gauge and I never paid attention to this "little" problem.

After I had finished the sock I laid it on it's mate and looked at the difference in size between the two. I could not believe that I had never realized as I knit that the second sock that it was growing larger in diameter. I had used the first one as my measuring stick to check that the ribbing, the heels and the toes were all the same between the socks. I remember noticing some width differences, but blew that off as just the way I was laying them together...you know as in those peskey needles "get in the way" notion. Needless to say that width does make a difference in how the sock fits my foot...this sock did not fit & I knew I'd never wear them nor do I know anyone with such mismatched feet that I could dump them.

After this discovery I laid the sock aside for the night...to think. I don't like to rip apart in the heat of the moment so I left it until the next day. Of course I ripped the darn thing apart first thing the next morning...the whole sock. I was left with a pile of curly yarn that I washed, dried and wound back into a ball. I put the completed first sock and the yarn away...far way from me.

A few weeks ago as I was pondering what knitting I would take with me to Purl Jam I came across the Monkey bag...it seemed a shame for such beautiful yarn (Fleece Artist Sock Merino) and one sock to just be sitting on my desk. I cast on and start the second sock...making sure that I had a much tighter gauge. I didn't really knit much on it over the course of the weekend, but it started growing and was finished last night. I'm pleased with the fit...now the only problem is that it's much lighter in tone that sock 1. I didn't try to match the colors because it didn't seem possible. You do notice...DH did, but whose going to notice under my pants leg? There is no way I am going to frog this sock again...not happening.

No comments: