Monday, May 12, 2008

New WIP...swatch at least

Graduation is now a done deal...was a very nice weekend spent in Blacksburg with my boys. The weather turned out better that I had hoped. Friday we ran around all day in cool and drizzly conditions...then friday evening for the graduation events in Lane Stadium we had clear skies and a moonlit evening to walk back to the car with the Grad! Saturday was sun shiney and perfect...so no ruined pics or clothes. My oldest is now a Graduate of Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University. A real mouthful of a name for what most call Virginia Tech, but that's the name on the diploma. Now proud Mom's off the soapbox and back to talking about knitting.....

While in Blacksburg I was given an early Mother's Day gift...a certificate to Mosaic from my oldest. After an early dinner he said that "you really want my gift now"...then it struck me what it could be. I was so very pleased for the thoughful gift from him. My DH and I headed off to Mosaic to check out the possibilites while my oldest got ready for graduation. Of course my DH took a nap in the car while I shopped & gabbed...I was even able to get a cup of coffee and due to the kindness of a knitter's offer of a needle knit on a swatch for a bit before he came to get me.

I ended up buying 4 skeins of Rowan Calmer in Slosh a nice smokey blue and 2 skeins of Fleece Artisit's Sea Wool in Mermaid (I think based on color descriptions). I started swatching for the Angela Hahn's Etrusca while I waited for DH's naptime to end. I only got a few rows before it was time to head on off to pick up my son and his girlfriend for the night's big event. Last night I started the second swatch in the ebellished garter stitch as the designer recommended to verify all is well with the selection...it's looking as if size 7 needles will be the choice. I have to finish a bit more to check the row and block to see how the Calmer is going to do, but so far I'm spot on gauge. I love the soft feel of the Calmer...the first time I have used this yarn. I hope to cast on this week for the tank because I'd love to wear it next month to Mosaic's Purl Jam . If interested check out the link quick since there are only a few spots left!

No comments: