Thursday, May 01, 2008

"I don't understand Lace Knitting"

Yep, my DH said to me last night that very thing..."I don't understand lace knitting." At the time I was fussing a bit about a stupid error I'd made in my Lace Ribbin "wrap". He went on to say that he thought it was "interesting" just why would you want to knit it? I laughed because I really have no idea why I find lace so fun, yes I said fun to knit. Maybe it's the fact you have to pay attention and keep focused on your knitting. Let's face it I do enjoy that piece of the puzzle because I'm a totally obsessed knitter. A project gets into my head and I cannot put it down until it's complete. The lace has been that way for me the last few months. First, it was Laura of Dragonwing Arts Summer Radiance Shawl that I completed in March, now it's the Lace Ribbon. My other projects are suffering from neglect.

There are a few other reasons. I love to watch how the simple act of a yo becomes this complicated looking twist in my current project. When I've messed up and dropped a yo I've tried to recreate the twist 2 rows down...does not look right, but is it oh so simple when you remember to just wrap a loop and on the next row knit or purl it.

Lace has taught me a few things along the way. The first is to use a life line if you don't want to pull your hair out with a major error full of lost yarnovers. I've become much better at both "reading my knitting" and using charts to knit. When I first starting knitting I figured no way would I be able to read a knitting chart...too complicated looking, symbols to remember, etc. Now I adore using charts vs written instructions. I now prefer the charts, but will read through the written directions for anything that may not be clear on the charts. Why do some designers use a chart, but write extra instructions buried in the written? Drives me crazy...then I am a bit.

No comments: